Chicken Liver Pate
We often think of pate as a sinful indulgence. It’s not. Pate is simply chocked full of essential nutrients such as:
- Iron for healthy blood
- Folate for healthy cell regeneration and protection from heart disease
- B12 for a healthy nervous system
- Vitamin B6 for healthy hormones and protein metabolism
- Vitamin A for healthy eyes, skin and respiratory tract
- Zinc for healthy skin and immune system
- Protein for growth, repair and regeneration
- Choline for healthy nerves and muscles
- Cholesterol (yes cholesterol IS an essential ‘nutrient’, without it there’d be no estrogen, progesterone or testosterone, you’d have leaky cells and you wouldn’t be able to store memories or make myelin which protects your nerves. If your cholesterol is high you need to find out why YOUR liver is producing more than it should. Your liver makes 80% of the cholesterol found in your body, 10% is made in your digestive tract and 5% in your skin. Only 5-10% comes from dietary sources. FYI breast milk contains more cholesterol than any other food)
How to use it:
Try it on toast for breakfast (makes better brain food than honey on toast and most kids love it…provided you don’t tell them what it’s made from!). It also makes a great mid-afternoon snack with some raw organic carrot sticks.
Most pates these days is made from margarine instead of butter, which you’ll know from previous email newsletters, makes the top 10 unhealthy food list due to trans fats and other nasty rancid fats. Margarine is cheap and nasty. By making your own you can use organic chicken livers and organic butter and enjoy it with complete peace of mind.
Always an open heart filled with gratitude and love compulsory!
- 500 gr organic chicken livers
- 1 onion diced
- 3 slices of bacon (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 250r organic butter
- 100 ml of white wine (optional)
- Herbs such as rosemary, thyme, tarragon, or parsley (optional)
- Heat 50 gr butter in pan; add onion garlic and sauté for 1 minute add bacon and livers sauté till opaque. Add herbs if selected. Add white and reduce to just a moist consistency. Let cool.
- Transfer to blender, add remaining butter and blend till smooth.
- Transfer to glass container and refrigerate.
- Additional melted butter can be drizzled over the top to preserve color and help to keep the pate from forming a skin on top.
This week’s recipe is brought to you by our Nutrition Specialist, Jo Rushton
Jo Rushton www.6wisdoms.com
Jo Rushton is a professional chef, CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach Level 3 and CHEK
Exercise Coach. She offers a multidimensional approach to health, fitness and wellbeing, combining her skills and knowledge from the CHEK Program, and combining it with her own wisdom and truth that has evolved over a decade of searching for health, empowerment and inner peace.
What a great recipe!! I have been looking for a pate / liver sausage type recipe for a while!! Next stop is to try to find those organic chicken livers – any ideas for a source in Sydney?? what do you think about using calf, cow or lambs liver instead??
Thanks Jo, this is beautiful stuff! I love liver pate! I can feel my body smiling when I eat it. Now can I request a recipe for some healthy (GF) crackers to have with it?